Saturday, April 4, 2015

Hull is Planked !!!!

Finally, I can say that the planking is complete. I will need a few hours to sand and fill a few spots, and it really didn't turn out that bad, I did use every piece of Mahogany I had. I asked the manufacture to send me 8 more, for the damaged planks I had. Will keep you updated on that. So I will have to pick and choose the rest of the assembly, if it requires the use of these 2x5x500mm Mahogany pieces I will have to wait till I get them, if I get them. I have a few  kits laying around, I might have to take some of wood from those and use it. I have already broke into one to get the nails I needed.

 
You can see I covered the deck with the blue painters tape, when I started sanding the red mahogany, I noticed that the pale deck wood was turning red. I like this  tape because it releases easy, I have seen people use duct tape. Then when they removed it, the bond is so strong it actually removes the wood too.

 
5 of the cannon ports removed, I think there are 15 on each side, but the other 10 are covered with hatches, so you only see 5 cannons a side.

 
Still have to cut the cannon holes.

 
Still have to trim the stern, and remove the holes for the stern gallery.


 
 

 
You can see one of the holes for the stern gallery cut ( top Left ), the hole in the center is for rudder. If you look in the right margin of this blog you can see the completed stern of the ship, with the railings and door, one of the highlights of the ship.
 
I have a few hours of sanding and filling, not really much filling, the planks are nice and tight. Once that is done, the fun starts.......
 
The next steps in the instruction are to line the inside of the bulwarks, stringers, and rubbing rails.
 

 
You can see the two rubbing rails, good thing they are apple wood, when I first looked at it, thought they were mahogany, and I don't have any left. If you look close at the instruction sheet, the lower run of cannon holes, the second from the front. Look up from there, and notice the small section of planking, the small 2.5mm sticking up. Now scroll up and look at my pictures, both side of my ship these are missing. Really not missing, but broke off. So if you plan on building this ship take care when planking, these break easy. No big deal to glue them back on, you will never know, but just something else to do.

 
This shows the liners for the inside, remember the 10mm deck liners, same thing.
 
Thanks for all the emails, and comments. Will get back to it and hopefully have it sanded, and lined in the next couple days.
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Nice blog, love seeing the progress your making. I have a blog and know how hard it is to keep up with it, and your building the ship too !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave, can't wait to see it done, I've been following the build, thanks for posting all the pictures. I don't build ships, but am thinking about it after see this blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the message