Thursday, April 2, 2015

Planking the Hull

I said I wasn't going to work on the hull last post, but I decided to get her done. We're almost there, should be today, at least having the wood on it. The sanding will still have to be done. OK, I have to say I have had some problems, the kits contents, including the mahogany planks I am using now where under stocked, in other word I didn't get enough. The ones I did get there were only about 2/3 of those that were usable. I knew this when I did my inventory when I opened it. I have been in contact with the manufacture, and that's we're it stands. I do believe they will resolve this issue, but they are in Spain, with the shipping time, the translation when emailing, etc. Making it all most impossible. I am on a tight schedule with this and had to cover the hull the best I could. It still looks good, just not as realistic as it could be. After all that's really what you are trying to do, make a model look as close to the real ship as possible. Thank goodness the guy I am building it for understands, and really doesn't care. Like I said before, not many people will even know that there are mistakes.
 I was missing most of the nails, 2 spools of thread for the sails, and the 2 x 5 x 500mm planks. Let me say this, out of the 6 or 7 kits I have bought from them, this is the first time I have ever had a problem. I will still continue to buy their kits, everyone makes a mistake. I will keep everyone informed of the progress, I hope they make things right.

So..... Here's the ship so far, hopefully I get it covered today, if I don't run out of wood it really going to be close.

So this is where we are now.




Started to trim the sides and cut a few cannon ports, on this side.

 
I got about 15 more planks to put on, then will start the sanding......
 




 
I know its getting a little old looking at the hull over and over again, will be done soon, if I got enough planks. Then the fun begins, we get to start putting on all the fine details.....


 




















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the message