Saturday, April 11, 2015

Cutwater, Stem and Keel

Got a couple of thing done on the ship, haven't had much time to work on her,  real work is starting to pick up, a good thing for the wallet, not so good for ship building.
 
I wanted to show you the metal hatch covers for the cannons, these are included with the kit. There are five cannons a side, for a total of ten on the ship. There are another 20 holes to cut from the hull where you put these 10x10mm hatch covers, they will get painted and installed later, but the instruction want you to cut the holes now.
 
 
Picture above, not really a great one, but you can see the hatches, between the rubbing rails
 
 
The frame and the hinge

 
Here it is together, I have marked the location of these on the hull, all I have to do is cut the holes, sound like a small task, its a ton of work.
 
 
Now the 10 cannons you see just get a metal frame around them, no hatch.
 
 
 
I will paint and install the frame later.
 
I did get something done on the ship, if you remember a few post back, one of the planking post, I said I wasn't to concerned with the planks on the bow touching. The reason is that the wood has to be removed, down the center of the hull, a 5mm grove. This grove is where the Stem, Cutwater, and Keel get placed.
 
 
This grove was a little tricky to do, but I got lucky and had a file that was just the right thickness to carve it out.
 
 
With the grove carved you just sit the stem and cutwater into place.


 
Might have to use some putty, but the file was almost a perfect match.



After I got that done I started to line the bulwarks, inside.
 
 
 
Just using the deck planks, 10 mm long.


 
Getting tired of cutting cannon holes, have to sand it yet, but getting there.
 
 
Here it is with a couple cannon holes done. I looked at the plans, and didn't  see any frames that go around these holes. I may put some type of wooden window like frame around them, will see.
 
That it for now, I will get back to it, as summer is getting closer every second, and that time of the year really put a hold on ship building.
 
Thanks for all the comments and emails
Dave
 
 

 
 
 



3 comments:

  1. Ok, I came across Hobbylinc, then your blog. Thank you for all the info that you're passing along.

    I'm now ordering the Virginia American Schooner from there to try my hand at wooden ship modeling. I know, and see, you're busy with everything, but can you give me a list of things I should order along with the kit?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated..

    Thank you again for walking a newbie through the process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James, Again thanks for the comment. I am back building the ship, as my business comes to a complete halt in the winter. I can put together a list, but fear its been to long and you have taken matters into your own hands. If you do need any help, let me know. Hope your ship build is going smooth.

      Dave

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the comments..... I have placed the ship on the back burner, as summer gets really busy for me, but will start building in a week or two. I have a post almost completed about the tools and glues you will need. I will finish it and let you know.

    Thank you again

    Dave

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the message