Friday, March 27, 2015

Helmsman's Cabin

After working on the hull for the last 2-3 days, I started going crazy, a sure tell tale sign that it was time to move to something else. It's a good idea, for me anyway, to take a few hours away, to clear my mind. I start to take short cuts, and get sloppy.....

I like to take a break, by doing some of the smaller things you need to get done anyway. There's a ton of it. Things like the Helmsman's cabin......

Kind of an easy little 4 sided cabin, with a slight curve in the roof.


The main structure is made of 5 parts prefab plywood.


Got to take your time gluing the sides, as the front to the back tapers by approx. 1.5cm., you want to try to maintain that angle.


I had to steam the roof, to get the bend required to fit the sides.


After sanding to clean up the edges you are ready to cover it.


You will use the .6 x 5mm Mahogany, we used to cover the bulkheads, and a 2 x 2mm stick of Ramin


I did the front and the back first. Covering the hatchway.


Then the two sides, I wanted the overlap to be on the front, when the ship is displayed, you wont be able to see the darker edge grain.


After the glue dries, I put the roof on. I drew a center line, then worked the covering to the edges.


Once the roof and side are completely dried you can clean the edges with 180 grit sandpaper. This covering is so thin you have to really take your time or it will crack.


Then I opened out the hatchway, with a fine tooth jewelers file.

Now that the sides are square, you can put the 2 x 2mm Ramin around the roof. They also had to get bent, so in the water they go.


Then I noticed that you could see some of the white plywood on the bottom run of the hatchway. This step could be left out, but I think small details like this make the difference in a well constructed model.

I cut a small piece of the Mahogany....


Then glued it into place.


Cut and sand it to shape.


After the front and back are glued in place, I did the sides.

Sanded it to fit.


Now all that's is left to do is finish sanding with 320 grit, and apply the finish. Off to the side it goes as you don't glue it into place until you get the hull finished.



This will give you an idea of where it goes and how it will look when on the ship.


Now, with a renewed interested I will start back on planking the hull.




















2 comments:

Thanks for the message