Thursday, March 12, 2015

Frames / Start Deck

First thing today is to take care of installing parts 19, 20 and 21. These are glued to both sides of the false keel, they will help hold and form the planks that cover the bulkheads to form the hull.

Now one of my most hated part of any ship build. Before you plank the ship the frames must be filed so the planking makes full contact when glued to the bulkheads. This is a time consuming job, you have to take your time with this, if this isn't done, or done wrong the hull will have bumps, humps, you name.....

You can see how far the planks are away from the bulkheads, got to round the frames over so the planks sit flush.



Next step is to put on the deck lining, I started off cutting 50 of these 0.6 x 5 x 100mm Ramin planks.


Then take a soft lead pencil and color the edges of the planks, this gives the planks a nice look as if they were fill with rope, as they did back in the 1500.

Find the center of the ship, I have this marked when doing the bulkheads and glue your first plank down on that line.


Half of this deck will be under 10 cm, but when joining to planks together, end to end, I overlaid the two that are to be but connected and cut both at the same time.


Leaving a nice, nice but joint.


Now to add a touch of realism I took an .040 or .032 drill bit, can't remember what one, and drilled two holes on both ends of the splice. Gives it a nice look as if it were pegged to the deck.


Now just glue them to the deck.



You can see how the planks look as if it were pegged to deck.



The edges of the deck will be covered with .06 x 5 mm Mahogany. I will try to finish the deck tonight, when I get all the decking on I will sand with 320, 600 then 800 grit sand paper. You will have to email me, I need to know if you want me to finish the deck with a gloss or semi gloss finish. I will probably put 2 or 3 coats on it sanding between each coat.











No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the message